Sunday 16 June 2013

Neil Young and Crazy Horse Concert in Dublin, Ireland

It feels like I've been waiting my whole life just to see Neil Young in concert and then it happened and it was AMAZING! Well, I thought it was anyway but the Irish audience had feelings of their own.


(orignal image here)

There was a good mix of people in the crowd: young children, throwback hippies, elderly folk, and young folk that consisted of heavy rockers to "i wish I were a real hippy" types. With such a mix there's bound to be some disagreement on whether or not the concert was shit or amazing. The only true criticism I have is that the sound was a bit off from time to time and it was apparent Neil wasn't happy about that (he kept signaling for the people to fix it). But that didn't stop the epic jam sessions from happening. And that's where the true disagreement lies. Many folks complained he didn't play enough hits and he could have replaced those 20 minute jam sessions with more songs. I can understand people's feelings on this but then again you have to realize this wasn't a "Greatest Hits" tour it was a tour with Neil Young & Crazy Horse and they have a certain, almost psychic, connection and all they want to do is jam, feed off one another. I will admit there was one tedious session that sounded like he was calling the whales to come home, that or signaling the mothership to land. But aside from that we got to hear a few classics mix with songs from his album Psychedelic Pill and a sprinkle of unreleased songs. I got to hear Powderfinger, Cinnamon Girl, Walk like a Giant, Fuckin' Up, Mr. Soul, Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black) and a surprising encore of Cortez the Killer, which all made me very happy. I say if you wanna hear a greatest hits concert you could've gone to seen Bon Jovi at Slane Castle last night, or go see Rod Stewart in 2 weeks. Neil is still turning out new material so fuck a greatest hits tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment